What am I about?
I build and motivate great teams that create and maintain high demand and globally available infrastructure. I build teams that allow companies to grow from tens of millions to hundreds of millions of users.
I cultivate trust and encourage those around me to design for the future while building with lessons learned from the past. We are stronger when we are all leaders.
I empower people.
My origin story begins in 1993 at a small Chicagoland ISP as a Solaris Sysadmin before I found my true passion as a network engineer in California. Someplace in the middle I picked up coding, mostly Perl. I still speak HTML because at one point in time that was the only way to speak.
I enjoy warm nights, vi and tcsh (but have been known to use bash).
In all things I enjoy a challenge. The challenge in building systems that scale, the challenge of learning.
Context matters. Human connections matter.
Causes that are dear to me
Year Up Bay Area (San Francisco)
- Technical Advisory Board member
- Coach and mentor to Year Up students & interns
- Community volunteer & Mozilla Representative
- Mozilla Webmaker advocate & champion
Saint Mary’s College of California (Moraga, CA)
- Digital Studies Working Group, curriculum development
The Awesome Foundation, Open Web Trustee
- Project grants to build awesome stuff on the Internet
2 thoughts on “about mrz”